Future Prospects

I'm skipping applying for the Clarion workshops. I already decided this over the break. I don't want to write short stories (or at least not primarily, they might crop up over the course of my career) and that's what that workshop is geared toward. I know they say you can send a chapter for Clarion West but they seem to discourage it. Anyway but here are my future writing plans for this year:

1. Apply for the Gordone Award in the English Dept. I'm submitting two manuscripts. One creative nonfiction piece as of now still unwritten (lol) and I'm revamping Merlin for this specific purpose to enter in the fiction category.
2. Apply for Odyssey. It seems more novel friendly and is specifically geared toward fantasy writers. Also their 09 writer in residence writes books a lot like me. Maybe she'll be my friend. (Gosh I sound like a second grader.) I'm going to send Merlin or the first chapter of the Muse novel for my application. Most likely Merlin since it'll already be written. I want to work on the Muse novel while I'm there though and if I get accepted I'm going to send the first chapter as my second submission. (If you get accepted they want another short piece before you go to the workshop.)
3. Apply for Viable Paradise, even though I'll miss a week of school. Since I'm only gonna have to take 9 hours or so to finish I don't think it'll be too big of a deal. Really awesome writers are also going to be the instructor for this. I'm definitely sending the first few chapters of the Muse novel for this.

I think if I can at least work toward all of these things by next fall when I graduate I'll be well on my way to having a manuscript to send out and really be in my stride as a writer. Ready to move where ever, become a dog walker and/or receptionist to pay rent and start my life as a semi-respectable writer.
These are my immediate future plans. I felt like writing them down. I'm going to try and keep up with this blog more often. (I know I say that a lot.)

0 comments: