Character Problems Solved..I think.

So I've been having some difficulties getting past the beginning of the Muse novel, which I've rewritten like a million times. First she was too much like me, because the original piece this was inspired by was somewhat biographical. So I tried to make her really different and made her a little too bitchy for what I had in mind. On the advice of Rosemary Clement Moore from her blog about characters, I realized that before I could write from her point of view that I needed to flesh out her personality a bit more. The latest beginning I've written is better, but the "Save the Cat" moment was lost when I changed up the scenes. Plus, the writing wasn't coming out as punchy and snarky as I wanted. Probably because her personality was so wishy-washy. While trying to explain all this to le boyfriend, I summed it up like this: I'm a Piper, and that's what she was like before. When I tried to change her I ended up making her a Pru, BUT I need her to be a Phoebe! After I said that, I was like, oh! That's exactly it. (Because it didn't make much sense to me before either. I just knew something was wrong.) So currently I'm trying to do some character building (on all my characters).

Book Report
Also I finished Rosemary's book Prom Dates From Hell. It was great fun to read and her main character is so pithy. Maggie's attitude/personality really comes out in the style/tone of the writing. Basically, I thought it was brilliant! Go out and order it. I can't wait to read the next one. Also another thing that's great about her series is the age she picked. In this book, Maggie is a senior in High School and in the next two, she's a freshman in college. This is the perfect! age. Because I know I enjoyed even though I'm in college, because high school wasn't too far away that I can't remember what it was like. Plus younger kids the say 12-14 age range are all about growing up and wanting to be the big dogs on campus, then being cool college kids. Genius. Anyway, enough adoration. Lol. How embarrasing. But anyway. I'm going to try to some other reviews of books I've read this summer. That was the most recent. I'll go back and do others!
Here's the link to Rosemary's website!

0 comments: