Mythcon Part III: The End

I had a wonderful weekend here and met amazing people. Unlike the rest of fandom, the Mythopoeic Society sincerely wants to further the works of the Inklings and fantasy writers/critics everywhere, plus they put in the effort to actually do it. I can definitely identify with the heart and soul they put into all of their work. That's how I do everything in life and most certainly how I approach my career. I could tell from the speech, founder, Glen Goodknight gave last night just how much he loves this society and what it stands for. These people have touched my heart and I have made some very good contacts and new friends while here. This was a great step for my career I think and has really helped me focus on the future. Going into my last semester I'm ready to buckle down and steer myself toward what I want to be doing for the literary community. I am sure that I will stay involved with this society and I know that this opportunity was a blessing. It wasn't just a coincidence that I had written a paper that coincided with the theme, I was meant to come here to see and meet people who are already doing what I want to be doing. It was inspiring. I think I might have inspired a few people too! One fellow water myth scholar who gave a paper right before mine told my mom that she should be very proud of me. Which delights me to no end. I was terrified I would get here and not live up to my own or other people's expectations of myself and my research/analytical skills. But I think instead, I've been galavinized that this is what I'm supposed to be doing.

Philosophical ramble over. We're going to Santa Monica pier, Venice Beach and before that we're going to Craft, Tom Colicchio's restaurant, for lunch! Our plane leaves LAX at 6 and we should arrive back in Texas around 11. Too bad I have a Botany test tomorrow morning and will get no break! Such is the life of an academic. lol.

1 comments:

Lacy said...

Super crazy jealous of you getting to go to Craft! I am so impressed that you are striving to become a writer and am dying to read some of your stuff. Getting to go to Mythcon is incredible and I'm glad you had an awesome time. Next year I'm totally sneaking into your suitcase so I can come watch! :P