SF Movie Experiment Part 1: Epic Fail

Copied from livejournal account I stupidly created last summer and will now delete.
Alrighty. I used to have a blog and it was whiny, boring and pretty much just me talking to myself. It had no purpose. So! I came up with this idea, helped a little by the movie Julie & Julia as well as an interview I heard on the radio about a girl similarly inspired by that movie to listen to the top 100 records ever made. She's already doing records and I'm not such a great cook. So when I found the Rough Guide to Science Fiction Movies at work, written by none other than John Scalzi (I met him at ArmadilloCon two years ago), I thought PERFECT! Scalzi is the master of the blogosphere himself and what better way to expand my SF repertoire than by watching what he says are the top 50 science fiction movies ever. Growing up my family watched Star Trek, but that's about as far as my young science fiction education went. Not a bad place to start though. I read a lot more than I watched movies or tv and most of that reading was fantasy. So here are the terms:

I will watch at least 1 of the movies on Scalzi's list a week. (I'm going to try to do more but we'll see how that goes with working full time and applying to graduate school.)
Then I will blog about it within 24 hours of said viewing. (Best to keep it fresh.)
After that I'll tweet and facebook about my entry hoping that this can start a discussion amongst my friends and colleagues!

Stay tuned to find out what my first pick will be!


So obviously none of that happened. I did watch Blade Runner, I never posted about it and my full time job/applying to grad school did get the best of me. But! My grad school applications will be in soon(-ish) and then I will try this experiment again. So stay tuned for that. Why am I blogging again you might ask? -My nonexistent readers. Well I'm procrastinating working on my writing sample for graduate school of course! This is my last desperate cry to put it off though. Back to the grinding stone. I sure hope all this stress is worth it. :/

0 comments: